Stephen Covey taught us about The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Today, I want to talk to you about the 7 Habits of Highly Healthy People. I know this title makes no sense but I need to grab your attention some how…
I am a big fan of Mr. Covey and I have read his book several times. Since imitation is the highest form of flattery I figured I would apply Stephen’s logic to our world and our desire to become healthier. I have compiled a list of some of the key things healthy people do to stay fit:
1) Get up early – Most of my idols are the types who like to seize the day. I am sure there are plenty of people who are healthy who like to sleep in but how many of us can do this in the real world? Set your alarm for 5am every day. Gulp!
2) Keep their gym clothes handy. When the alarm goes off healthy people do not reach for their slippers. Instead they reach for their trainers and rather than don a robe they don their workout gear.
3) Stock their fridge right – Healthy people just flat out stay away from junk food. They eat all natural foods dense with vitamins and minerals. They have learned that junk food can act like an anchor slowing them down. When the doors to the fridge open they can blindly grab anything in it.
4) Attack stress – Healthy people tend to have balance in their lives. They tend to attack stress versus let stress attack them. Healthy people are generally those who have learned to compartmentalize things that stress them so that they can better handle it. Being healthy also means you are physically strong. This strength provides self-confidence and confidence is a great asset to have when it comes to handling stress.
5) Have a plan – Healthy people have built an active lifestyle into their busy lives. In other words they plan ahead and allocate the necessary time and energy to staying fit. They also plan out their diet so they never find themselves face to face with a pizza when they are hungry.
6) Have a vision – Healthy people have a vision of not only how they want to look but they also have a clear understanding of how they want to feel. They want energy. They want to be able to enjoy life. They know that being overweight will just slow them down. This vision drives them to stay fit. What drives you? Remember: energy = happiness.
7) Always have water handy – Healthy people know that one of the keys to having energy is staying hydrated. Smart, Earth conscious, healthy people keep a large water jug next to them at all times. Yes, filled from the tap. Get in the routine of filling up a jug every morning and carrying it around with you all day.
Finally, as Stephen Covey so artfully wrote: Think “Win-Win”. Come up with a plan to become healthier that works given your lifestyle and does not sacrifice your happiness.
For more tips and tricks read: The Diet for a Busy Life by Phillip Gerard.